March 29, 2013

Moving Day!

Hello! We're taking this blog to a new address:

http://www.swistle.com

I've been putting this off for literally YEARS, and I see I was right to do so: I've been working for two weeks on moving things and setting things up, and I have hated EVERY MINUTE. There has been weeping and despair and careful breathing through the nose.

And the comments are currently ABOVE each post, which I will fix when I figure out how to do so, because it's silly to come upon the option to comment even before you've read the post, and then not have the commenting option anywhere in sight when you want it.

And if someone comments on the old blog, that comment won't show up on the new blog, and I won't be able to move it, and it will be lost forever. So don't comment here anymore, or else it's GONE FOREVER. I mean, you can comment on this post if you want, because this post isn't transferring over there anyway. But NOWHERE ELSE! Or GONE FOREVER! (Some comments from this blog aren't over there yet; they're transferring as I type, and I hope they will all make it.)

And I can't figure out how to do the reference section.

And I don't really like how anything looks, but I have tried out no-kidding two dozen different themes and I hated them all, so.

And the profile thing keeps saying "error loading profile" instead of showing my name and my little skirt picture and my links. REASON UNKNOWN.

And the formatting on the transferred posts is messed up, with big gaps and no gaps and things not in the right place, and I am trying not to freak out about that. Big picture, big picture.

And probably we're going to run into a lot of problems with commenting. (Just for starters, I think the first comment from each commenter automatically goes to moderation.)

And don't even tell me if your workplace computer is saying the new blog is too racy to read at work, because I can't do anything about that except say, "But...it isn't!" and feel even MORE frustrated about EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD. And besides, that happened sometimes with this old address too.

So anyway. A huge, huge mess.

But the move needed to be done, so if we can just plow through this period of things being broken and changed and confusing and upsetting, I think everything will feel fine and normal before long.

Remember to change links and subscriptions and stuff, if you have them.

14 comments:

Tracy said...

This is like, "I hate the new house and we all loved the old house, but darnit, we're moving!" - LOL! Wheee... hold on to your hats!

Swistle said...

Tracy- Ha! YES. It feels EXACTLY like that!

cindy said...

My blog reader (Bloglovin) will only let me subscribe to your baby names blog, for some reason. I am still shaking my fist at Google for getting rid of Google Reader. Stupid Google.

cindy said...

OK, well, it has swistle.com/babynames as the subscription URL, but your regular Swistle posts are showing up. I do not understand.

Swistle said...

cindy- Wut. This is crazy. I don't understand either. Let's hope this is one of those things that just straightens ITSELF out.

Susan said...

This is a little stressful. Can you move back if this doesn't Work Out?

Jenny said...

Well, anyhow it didn't rain.

marilyn c. cole said...

But this is so exciting! swistle.com!

Suburban Correspondent said...

So why did you have to move? I think I missed something here.

marilyn c. cole said...

Here's one solution for the comment/reply link at the top or bottom of posts. It seems to have worked for several people, but I'm not sure whether it's the right fix for ya, since yours don't say "Leave a reply" in the link...

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/twentytwelve-moving-leave-a-reply-to-bottom-of-post

Also, I want to hear whether Paul was helpful in this process! Shouldn't he be tasked with troubleshooting here??? Or does he whine about not being tech support? ;)

Swistle said...

Suburban Correspondent- Don't worry, you didn't miss anything! The reasons are dull and numerous and I'm hoping they'll end up WORTH IT.

Swistle said...

marilyn c. cole- Paul has been SOMEWHAT helpful, but he doesn't know anything about blogging, so he keeps offering solutions I don't want, or not understanding why a particular problem is important, or not understanding why I care so much how things LOOK, or changing something HE thinks should be changed that actually I really don't want done that way, or being like "Fine, I've just taken the whole thing out" when I wanted something to WORK RIGHT not DISAPPEAR. He also set up a bunch of stuff that I then had to completely undo, which was super frustrating. And I think he gets frustrated with me for being so simultaneously helpless and picky: he's like, if I know so much about BLOGGING, why can't I even change my own html??? Meanwhile, I'm looking at instructions and going, "My...WHAT?? What even IS this gibberish??"

...There have been Communication Issues with my tech support officer, in short.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Happy new blog day! I loved my move. Even though it was WAY annoying and scary when I did it.

Stimey said...

Congratulations! I totally feel you because I went through this recently too. I just subscribed to your new feed!