January 1, 2012

New Year's Eve Report

New Year's Eve was fun! I used to think it was fun back in high school, and in college when I was home over Christmas break: my dad would move the TV and VCR into my room, and I would RENT several VIDEOCASSETTES from a VIDEO STORE, and I would buy a bunch of snacks. I'd stay up late watching the movies and eating, and mooning into my diary.

This tradition continued on and off until my first baby was born. Oh, wait, actually we stayed up late that year, too, because it was turning to 2000! We were living with my parents, and we all stayed up in case we were going to suddenly need to learn to farm the backyard and fetch water from the river.

After that, there were many years of not staying up: I was either pregnant or nursing or caring for very small children, or in fact always two of the three, and didn't want to stay up.

I can't remember which year it was that Rob asked to stay up and I said yes, but I do remember being really, really tired and not at all enthusiastic about it. I think it was the year the twins were toddlers and I was pregnant with Henry. The memory is understandably fuzzy, but I do remember how proud Rob was to stay up.

We've stayed up every year since. First it was Rob and me, and the last two or three years it's been Rob and William and me. Next year I'm going to let the twins try it. My prediction is that Elizabeth will stay up easily, and Edward will fall asleep on the couch by 9:00, after an hour of asking NOW is it almost time? Paul goes to bed early: he's not interested in staying up (though he's glad I do it, because it's fun for the kids), and that way he can let me sleep in the next day.

Now that my youngest baby is four years old, and I'm neither pregnant nor nursing, it's finally fun to stay up again. Rob and William and I went to the grocery store the day before and bought a bunch of snack food: Doritos, Lay's, powdered doughnuts, pizza rolls, Kit Kats, boneless wings, mozzarella sticks, soda, champagne. (The cashier: "Wow, having a party! How many people?" Me: "...Three." Cashier: *awkward moment*)

On New Year's Eve we got out the snack food at about 8:00, and William learned his annual lesson about the benefits of eating slowly over the hours rather than cramming as much into the tum as possible right away. They played Wii and I messed around on my computer with resolutions. At 11:30 we turned on the TV and watched Lady Gaga and Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark. (It is time to let Seacrest do the countdown. He's starting to remind me of Prince Charles.)

At midnight I turned all the new calendars to January, and the boys got ready for bed while I put away all the snack food, and then I stayed up just a little bit longer to finish the champagne while mooning into my journal. I'm not saying it's HUGE! CRAZY! EXCITEMENT!, but it's become a holiday I look forward to for its pleasant little rituals.

12 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

See, that sounds like a very pleasant New Year's Eve.

StephLove said...

I'm glad it was fun. You must have more energy than me because I haven't been pregnant or nursing for almost three years and I have no desire to stay up that late, or worse yet, let the kids do it. Maybe the fact that the younger one still wakes me up at night 1-2 times a week and is up before dawn most mornings has something to do with it. I never take a full night's sleep for granted.

Nik-Nak said...

We had a bonfire to celebrate the eve of the New Year. I fell asleep at 11:45 though. I credit the moonshine for making me miss those last 15 minutes.

I can't wait until Boo is old enough to want to stay up. That might give the night new purpose for me.con

Misty said...

Aw, this does sound fun! I am right at the end of the nursing/up at night portion of my life (Frowny face). It is good to have things like this to look forward to. Especially the powdered donuts...MMmmm.

Lindsay said...

Love the prince Charles/ seacrest analogy

lifeofadoctorswife said...

That DOES sound fun!

Courtney said...

I agree with you, Swistle. That sounds fun. Happy New Year!

Jessica said...

I have a six-month old and staying up until midnight was torture. So you're saying in about 4 years it will be good again? That's not too bad.

Bibliomama said...

By happy accident we started spending New Year's Eve with our neighbours three years ago. It's fabulous - we fondue and drink martinis (and that amount of snack food is PERFECTLY APPROPRIATE for three people, by the way) my daughter hangs with their daughter (and is always still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed well past midnight) and my son stays at home playing video games. It's low-key, yet special - sounds like yours is too.

Heather said...

We went to a new years party on the far side of the city and at 10:30pm our house alarm went off so we drove home and checked the house. With 10 mins to spare I said to my husband 'lets take the dog for a midnight run at the park' thinking we could walk around snuggled up. 11:58pm my father-in-law rang to chat to me! NOOOO! Not quite the night I had planned.

debra said...

Oh, I used to have a New Years party with my kids when they were young. We bought all the junk food and they would spend the afternoon drawing and making up games to play during the evening. They were always so excited about it--I'm sure it was the social highlight of their entire year. I glad you all had fun and thanks for the memories!

Tess said...

We put out the snack food at NINE AM, if you can believe that. NYE is Snack Day, and the kids like having chips and dip for breakfast, and snack food out all day long.

This year we bought champagne mixers at World Market (liquid fruit toppers for champagne) and the girls had a lot of fun mixing that with their sparkling grape juice.

I love NYE too. Mostly because I love snacks. And fresh starts/resolutions.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!