This has made me very, very uncertain about EVER getting a tattoo, because that was ME at 16, and so perhaps "Me at 50" will be looking back at "Me in My Mid-Thirties" and thinking "OMG, Winnie the Pooh would have been WAY BETTER."
Here are the things I think are important:
1. It has to be something I will identify with FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. Winnie the Pooh = no. My children = yes. Paul = not necessarily. (If he were to cheat on me and then leave me for someone else, I would not be happy to have him permanently on my skin.)
2. It needs to be in that Perfect Location of hideable + showable. That is, I need to be able to easily hide it if I want to, and I'd like to be able to fairly easily show it if I want to---even to a casual acquaintance who has not plied me with drinks. Upper arm? Shoulder blade? Ankle? I've heard ankles are Very Owie.
What I'm currently considering is a fox. (My current favorite is here: fox saying "WHAT.") We found out awhile back that my family-of-origin surname is fox-based, and ever since then I've found I have an increased affection for fox-related merchandise. Plus, foxes are cute. I'm thinking of this for the upper arm.
Second possibility: children's names and birthdates. But perhaps you have noticed that I have a lot of children. That is a lot of real estate to consider, location-wise. And there is the font to
And then there is the TIMING to think of. It would be pleasing to get it for a Milestone Birthday, but I'm too far from both 35 and 40. And I can't think of any other milestones. So then...a random Tuesday?
What I think I like BEST about tattoos is tattoo STORIES. So if you have a tattoo, would you be willing to tell me any of the following things:
- what it is
- how/why you chose it
- where it is
- how/why you chose the location
- whether there was any significance to the timing
- how long it's been since you got it and how you feel about it now
- what you're glad you considered
- what you wish you'd considered
And could you also try to tell me how much it hurt? and whether I'd be allowed to bring a flask?