And that's when I read Melissa's timely post about tax-time defunkifying through happy thoughts and GOODNESS I thought of a lot of happy thoughts! Melissa said to just think of as many as we could for 5 minutes, and I did so in her comments section but then I kept thinking of more and more.
1. Henry is juuuuuust getting old enough that it's not QUITE such a hassle to bring the three littles somewhere, so yesterday after we did our errands we ALSO went to a big pet store and had lots of fun looking at animals and buying toys for our new cat.
2. Our new cat.
3. We saw some beautiful little finches at the pet store. I had no idea finches could be pets. I love finches. Now I kind of want a finch. But they were surprisingly expensive, like $40-50. That's about triple what I would have expected. But now I am enjoying thinking idly about maybe having a pet finch or two.
4. Deli turkey was on sale this week. I love deli turkey.
5. Paul got a bag of Doritos as a treat. So last night I had deli turkey AND Doritos for dinner.
6. I have Mrs. Meyer's lavender dishwasher detergent.
7. Also, I just spelled "lavender" right on the first try, for perhaps the first time since I made learning the spelling one of my 2009 New Year's resolutions.
8. I'm really enjoying the book I'm reading: Family Album, by Penelope Lively.
9. I bought a pretty Liberty of London storage box to match my pretty Liberty of London mug. I'd been holding myself back from buying it, but then Miss Zoot mentioned that she'd considered the Liberty of London stuff the perfect use for a gift card she'd been saving for something special, and I remembered _I_ had a gift card I'd been saving for something special! So I bought the storage box. I would have bought the canister if I could have thought of a use for it, and I would have bought a sundress for Elizabeth if they'd had it in the pattern I like best.
10. My brother, sister-in-law, and niece are moving. They will live a one-hour drive away rather than a six-hour plane trip away. I can hardly believe it. !!!!!
11. Because I have so enjoyed my six-hour solo plane trips to visit them, I'm going to do one last one in May. This means all kinds of fun preparations such as going frequently to the library book sale to find books to bring with me.
12. I've mentioned before that I find it very cheering to send packages of fun things in the mail, especially as surprises. And I have TWO surprises traveling right now.
13. The new cat had the sniffles and was sleeping a lot and not playing, and I was fretful even though the shelter had said it was likely to happen. But now he's better and is playing with the kids and
14. It's really fun to be considering a name for him. I'm leaning toward Kip. Paul is leaning toward Benchley. I also like the name Peabody: it has a very nice mix of silliness and dignity. And I like Biscuit, which makes up in whimsy what it loses in dignity.
15. Reader Melanie, who shares my PostCrossing
16. The new cat is settling in very well, but he CLEARLY wants to play with Mouse, and she's having NONE OF IT. This has led to pleasant thoughts of perhaps shopping for ANOTHER cat to be a companion for him. It's unlikely, because when we had three cats I had the STRONG FEELING that it would be pleasant if we Reduced In Some Unspecified Way, and when we DID Reduce In Some Unspecified Way it felt like two cats was the perfect number of cats---but it is still enjoyable to think of.
17. Henry is still going strong on his dinosaur kick, and he has been very particular about wanting to wear dinosaur clothing pretty much every day, and I've had great luck recently finding him dinosaur clothes. I found an Osh Kosh T-Rex shirt at Target, 50% off. Carter's dinosaur mix-and-match pjs at Target, 30% off. T-Rex pjs at The Children's Place, 40% off. Circo T-Rex t-shirt at Target, on sale for $4. (Why so much T-Rex, manufacturers? How 'bout some plant-eaters?)
18. When I get the twins' pictures taken each year, I get pictures of them individually but I also get pictures of them together. I enjoy having their clothes coordinate for the together pictures, but it's a little tricky. Happily, The Children's Place always does coordinated lines in the spring, so I wait for those to go to 50% off and then I buy outfits. This is what I bought yesterday:
19. Every year, I think, "I would really like to plant some bulb flowers!" And every year I miss the cut-off. Last fall, Kara Marie sent me some tulip bulbs at exactly the right time to plant them, so I went out right away and put them into the dirt. AND THEY ARE COMING UP! I guess I didn't expect this to WORK!
If you enjoy assignments, here is one for you: spend one minute in the comments section writing down happy thoughts. Let's Pollyanna it up a notch!