I was born in 1973. Go to the Social Security Administration's baby name site, and go to the section called "Popular Names by Birth Year." Type in 1973, and choose "top 500." Then click "Go." Everybody got it? A list of the 500 most popular names in 1973? Good! Okay, here are your extremely limited hints:
- My name is in the top 150.
- I have always liked it.
- Partial credit will be given for being close.
- Partial credit will be given for choosing names I think "fit" me, even if they're not correct.
- Partial credit will be given if one of your first-name guesses happens to be my middle name, which is also in the top 150.
- Partial credit will be given if you list a name my parents almost named me.
- Cheaty entries (example: "1. either Janet or Janice") will be discarded as too hard to score.
- There is no advantage to guessing earlier/later: as long as the guess is made before the contest ends, all guesses are equal.
Contest deadline is Friday morning (May 2nd). I'm not sure yet what TIME Friday morning, so it would be safer to consider the deadline Thursday night.
Prizes will be skimpy/pitiful, and will depend on how many winners there are: as with the lottery, the more lucky people there are, the less lucky each one will be. Right now I'm considering little Swistle Care Packages: a copy of The Baby Name Wizard book; batch of fudge; things I find in the junk drawer. [Edit! See Prize Update!]
Plus, of course there will be glory and honor among blog-readers, as we all hail your mighty guessing powers. There will be no Incredibly Awesome Prizes, unless someone is reading this who works at a huge company that would like to donate an Incredible Awesome Prize? Like a car? Or a mansion? Or a giant case of candy bars? That would be AWESOME! Just, um, send the prize to ME first, and I'll make SURE it gets delivered to the winner!
Good luck, and you may start guessing!