Yesterday's mail brought the news that I've been excused from jury duty. On one hand, I'm SO RELIEVED. On the other hand, SO DISAPPOINTED! If I'd had all your comments and input BEFORE mailing them my crazy-person letter, I would have asked for a deferral rather than an excusal, or whatever the terms are.
Well. Onward to a totally awesome idea. I'm copying And You Know What Else, who was copying Bright Yellow World, who gives credit to Musings of a Semi-Coherent Mind, and that's as far back as I'm taking it. What you do is, you make a list of things you haven't said to people in your life. Each one should be directed at someone in particular. You don't say who you're saying each thing to, and you don't give a ton of backstory---you just say it. Like so:
1) We're not friends anymore. I don't understand why you don't understand.
2) You are so stupid, I'm embarrassed I dated you for so long.
3) You glue yourself to whoever tells you who you are. Is there any part of you that is YOU, or are you nothing more than a personality parasite?
4) I wish we'd dated. Even if it hadn't worked out, at least I would have known.
5) I'm so sorry you died. I think about you a lot. I don't know why you left without telling me you were going.
6) Do you seriously think I'm stupid enough to believe that you stopped calling because I was "too good for" you? Wow, you're a real saint, to be so self-sacrificial for my benefit. Whatever, pinehole. Before I was even out the door, you were on the phone to a girl who would put out. If you seriously believe you came out of that situation holding the flag of chivalry, you're more delusional than I thought.
7) I don't understand why you dropped out of touch. I thought you were the one who was more invested in our friendship.
8) I have dreams where I am hitting you as hard as I can, again and again, and the only thing I feel sorry about is that my dream-arms can't hit harder.
9) Maybe I should have formally ended our friendship, but I didn't know what to say. "You're a bad friend and a toxic person"? That didn't seem...constructive.
10) Neither of us made a choice to believe what we believe, and I think you'd feel better if you knew that.
11) Ever since I said those things to you, I have been feeling like a total idiot. But it's been so long, and I don't know how to take them back.
12) Dude. What was WITH you? I still don't get it.
Gift ideas for an 8-year-old, part 2 of 2 - Last week I talked about the gifts we were getting/considering for Edward, who is turning 8 next month. This week it’s Elizabeth’s turn: not “girl gifts,” ...