I ran into a casual acquaintance today at the park. She was there with her husband and kids. After about an hour of watching/hearing her husband, I'm 98% sure he's abusive--and if he's not, I'm 100% sure he's an unpleasant asshole. He's a guy I knew a little bit in high school, and I hadn't seen him since. Over the years I've known her, I have gone on and on and ON to her about what a fine upstanding fellow he was: so smart and so respectful and so responsible and so mature--because he WAS in high school. I was trying to say nice things ("Great husband! Nice choice!"), but now I imagine her listening to my way-off crap and feeling like now she can't confide in me that he's actually one of those tightly-wound guys who, in a movie, would soon be cackling crazily and wielding a shotgun. I feel like a right dumbass. No wonder our friendship never seemed to move forward. Also, I have that "wanting to fix it" feeling ("Should I ask if everything's okay?") that never leads anywhere good.
William swallowed a Magnetix ball--it's like a metal marble. Luckily he didn't swallow one of the little magnetic parts of the set: those are the pieces that have caused the sets to be recalled. The pediatrician says "all we have to do is watch for it to come out." Well, I don't know if you've had this "watching" privilege before. I never had. I'm glad that what we're talking about here is not, say, a valuable item that must be retrieved, and that after I "find" it, I can let it flush right down the toilet.
I am stricken by my stupid procrastination. I've been meaning for MONTHS to pack up the Magnetix and mail them in for the replacement toy, but I've been so MAD about it: I don't WANT a stupid replacement toy, I want our money back. We spent a lot of money on multiple sets of Magnetix because they were so awesome, and now they're, you know, FATAL, and so even though it's a stupid decision to keep them in the house, I feel angry about the lost money and the replacement toy, and so I put it off. Dumbass.
Also, I feel despair at the way even a six-year-old will still EAT A TOY, when I thought we were about three years past worrying about that.
And I feel hopeless because we'll probably never find all the little dangerous magnets that have fallen out of the plastic sticks: the other day, the cat had a little chain of magnets hanging from his collar. They're tiny, they're everywhere, and they can be fatal if the child swallows more than one, and there's no way we can find them all. My solution? Don't think about it. GREAT IDEA! I'm lucky it was William who swallowed a piece, since he can tell me that he did. And I'm lucky he swallowed a non-magnetic component, which is not dangerous unless he also swallows a magnet. And I'm a total dumbass for keeping this toy in the house just because I'm sulking about the money.
To be fair, I'm not the dumbass who ate the metal marble.
Gift ideas for an 8-year-old, part 2 of 2 - Last week I talked about the gifts we were getting/considering for Edward, who is turning 8 next month. This week it’s Elizabeth’s turn: not “girl gifts,” ...