Last night Paul got out a drill and finished the drawer-pull-replacement project. On one hand I am grateful to him for fixing a problem. On the other hand it is so typical of him to come along for the fun part at the end: he didn't just drill bigger holes, he also installed the new pulls. Installing the new pulls is the best part.
Well. Moving on. Here is the bureau first with the old pulls (white, black-screwhead center), and then with the new (brushed antiqued coppery brown metal):
An unanticipated happy thing is that the new pulls coordinate almost exactly with the frame of a mirror we have above the bureau. But I am still not certain these are the Right Pulls. They seem small. I like them better than the old pulls, but maybe big loopy rings would be even better?
This morning I have been doing very boring tasks indeed. First, Elizabeth broke the household record for "how soon after getting dressed will Mommy have to change an item of clothing due to pee" by being soaked through when I picked her up out of her crib and cuddled her. So both crib sheets got changed, and both twins got baths. Then as I was dressing the babies, I noticed I was using the last diaper, so I refilled the bin. Then I thought I'd better make more diaper wipes, considering we'd been out of them since yesterday and I was starting to push my luck. YAWN. This motherhood gig: so rewarding, so fulfilling.
Those of you who would have need of a homemade diaper wipes recipe have probably already run into this one. Nevertheless, I will post it here. When I first encountered this recipe, it was presented not only as a way to save a few pennies, but as a way to custom-make your own wipes if your baby happened to be sensitive to commercial wipes, or if you wanted to better control the ingredients. I grew to prefer them, and so even though they're a small hassle to make, they're worth it to me. But I also keep the commercial kind on hand for times when I've run out of the homemade kind and don't get around to making more right away, and also for in the diaper bag.
First you need the right container. I bought mine at Walmart. It's a Rubbermaid Servin' Saver, 3 quart. It's a squarish cylinder shape. I have four of them, because it's less trouble to make these wipes if you make a bunch at once.
Next you need the right paper towels. Apparently they have to be Bounty Big Roll. I tried a couple of other kinds (I was assuming that the recipe was put out by Bounty, and that the kind didn't actually matter) and they turned into pulp. I get the regular sheet kind, but maybe select-a-size would be good, too, I don't know. Depends on how customized you want your diaper wipe experience.
Use a big sharp knife and cut the roll of paper towels in half so you have two short rolls. Wiggle and twist the inner cardboard tube until it comes out (it usually brings part of a paper towel with it in a little tufty fountain; that's fine). In the container, combine 1 tablespoon of baby oil, 2 tablespoons of baby shampoo, and 2 cups of water. I don't think exact measurements are crucial. If I'm in a hurry, I just pour in a slog of baby oil and two slogs of baby shampoo, then put in two bathroom-sink cups of water. Swish it around with your hand to mix it, then put a half-roll of paper towels in. Put the lid on, wait about 15 seconds, turn the whole thing upside down, and let it sit for half an hour or so. Then turn it right side up and use wipes by pulling them out from the center.
Cost information: Around here, a 2-pack of Bounty Big Roll paper towels sells for about $3.30. Each roll makes two containers of wipes, so a 2-pack is enough for four containers at about 83 cents each. Each container is 90 wipes. Then you'd have to add a little for whatever the cost is of the oil and soap you use. I like to use store-brand baby oil, the kind with something nice like aloe, and Johnson's Baby Shampoo or Baby Magic. Choosing those parts is the benefit of this recipe as far as I'm concerned: it's nice to choose a scent I like (Johnson's lavender baby shampoo is nice), and it's nice to be able to add more oil in winter, or more/less water if the wipes seem too dry/wet.
Something that raises the cost in our household is that Paul can't seem to wrap his mind around the "paper towels" concept, and instead thinks of the wipes as toilet paper. He pulls out a big long loop, maybe five or six wipes in a big handful, and uses that for a diaper change. If he needs a second wipe, he takes out another big handful. He claims this is because it's "impossible" to rip off a single sheet, but I can personally testify that it is indeed possible, and that once you get the hang of it you can easily do it one-handed.
Life-improving products, part 4 - (Continued from part 1, part 2, and part 3.) Stearns Youth Life Vest (photo from Amazon.com). I’d been too scared to take the kids to any body of water oth...